View Full Version : i need help with this lexus problem 1993 lexus es 300 v6?

name
10-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi i hope im putting this question in the right placed
Anyway i have a lexus es 300 with a v6 24v engine and im having a bit of a problem with it . I hope someone can help me the info on the car is as follow :

1993 Lexus es 300 V6 24v automatic trans. cruse all power abs airbags ect.

it starts up fine and will run although vibrating really hard I got this car from a auction. 140,000 miles . i was told by someone eles that the vibration is comming from a missfire, I took the car and put it on the scanner and they told me it wat the knock sensor. I changed the knock sensor, plugs, wires, and oil. still a vibration

when i drive it i have to wait a wile for it to pick up speed however in park if i press the gas the vibration seems to feel a bit lighter . the check engine light is on as well. what can this be?

justcurious
Hmmmm...and I though Lexus never had problems!

Greg K
There is definitely something wrong with your engine. I would check for a vaccuum leak first. Get a can of carb cleaner and spray it all around the intake manifold area. If the idle changes, you know there is either a vaccum leak or a bad gasket at that spot. This is a pretty easy fix. If this doesn't work, take it to a smog shop and have them check the exhaust to see how well the engine is running. Also, they will hook up a computer to check the error codes. There are a lot of things that can be wrong. At this point, hopefully it is a bad sensor. It could be a bad timing belt (a worn belt could've slipped causing the valve/crank timing to be off) - if this is the problem, get this fixed right away, because you can cause major damage to the engine. Worse case is that someone didn't maintain the car properly and there is mechanical damage to the engine (valves, rings, pistons, etc). The 3.0 Lexus (Toyota) engine is very durable, so hopefully the short block is good.

Good luck!

Greg

micool18
10-19-2007, 04:53 PM
i would take it to a shop and see what codes you have. But I would start with your coils they seem to go out alot on those cars. i wouldnt think that it would be a vac. leak because they dont always make the check engine light come on. Also you could have an injector problem. They could make a misfire code if spraying bad.

Jon T
10-19-2007, 05:01 PM
I will almost guarantee that you're having a problem with one of your ignition coils. 93 es has 3 coils. If you can have a scan tool hooked up to the car you can find out which cylinder has the misfire. Take the coil and swap it with another coil and if the scan tool shows the misfire moved to the cylinder where you moved the coil, then you know you have a bad coil.

It may be easier to take it to a qualified technician and cheaper than throwing parts at the car.